The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
As the international community has committed to end hunger, achieve food security and improve nutrition by 2030, one in ten people worldwide still do not have enough to eat. Food and food-related assistance lie at the heart of the struggle to break the cycle of hunger and poverty.
For its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020.
In 2022, WFP assisted 160 million people, a historic high.
On any given day, WFP has 6,500 trucks, 20 ships and 140 aircraft on the move, delivering food and other assistance to those in most need. These numbers lie at the roots of WFP’s unparalleled reputation as an emergency responder, one that gets the job done quickly at scale in the most difficult environments.
WFP’s efforts focus on emergency assistance, relief and rehabilitation, development aid and special operations. Two-thirds of our work is in conflict-affected countries where people are three times more likely to be undernourished than those living in countries without conflict.
WFP encourages female candidates and people with disabilities to apply
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis. We are committed to promoting diversity and the principle of equal employment opportunity for all our employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of religion or belief, ethnic or social background, gender, gender identity and disability.
- Job Title: Senior Programme Associate (Rice Fortification)
- Grade: Level 7
- Type of Contract: Service Contract
- Duration: 1 Year (with possible renewable)
- Reporting To: Designated Officer
- Duty Station: Dispur- Assam
- Date of Publication: 01 Dec 2023
- Deadline of Application: 15 December 2023
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- This vacancy is open to Indian National only
- This vacancy is open to internal and external candidates.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted
- A Written test will be used for Screening Candidates
- Only recommended candidates will be retained on roaster for a period of two years and may be considered for similar positions from roaster
- The Base Salary for this position is INR 1,12,202/- per month + 8.33% of Base Salary towards Social Security also employee will be covered with medical benefits as per WFP ‘s Plan. All Tax liability for payments from this contract are to be borne by the subscriber.
The Senior Programme Associate (Food Fortification) under the direct guidance of the supervisor and the overall supervision of the Head of the Nutrition and School feeding Unit and in close collaboration with the staff of the unit will lead WFP efforts on rice fortification in the food-based safety nets in the State.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (Not all inclusive)
Fortification of rice in the food-based safety nets
- Provide specialized technical expertise to the State Governments on rice fortification-this will include technological advice, development of well costed project notes, terms of reference etc.
- Provide efficient coordination and specialized project management support in implementation a plan for scale-up of fortified throughout the food based safety net in the given State.
- Support the organization of workshops and advocacy events on fortified rice.
- Support the relevant line Departments dealing with food-based safety nets in the organization of sensitization events on rice fortification for their staff.
- Support in developing a systematic plan for capacity building of all rice millers in the State including providing guidance to the rice millers on procurement of blending equipment through on-site visits.
- Support State Food Safety Departments in sensitization of private sector players on rice fortification and work towards increasing the fortified rice kernels production capacity in the States.
Quality Assurance and quality control
- Provide support todevelop and implement SOPs and protocols on quality control and quality assurance of fortified rice along the rice supply chain.
- Provide support in reviewing the QA/QC reports at different levels and accordingly recommend corrective actions.
Social behaviour change communication
Coordinate and facilitate the development, dissemination and implementation of advocacy strategy and materials aimed at improving commitment, knowledge and understanding of decision makers, private sector, public sector, general public, people benefiting from food fortification.
Monitoring and evaluation
- Regularly visit rice mills to monitor rice blending operations including storage of fortified rice, QA/QC protocols as well as fair price shops, anganwadi centres and government schools to gauge consumer acceptability.
- Work with government counterparts to support the development of a MIS system on fortified rice at the State level.
- Support the State in conducting baseline and endline of the Centrally sponsored scheme on fortified rice implemented in the State and help in identification of partners for the purpose.
Partnerships and convergence
- Foster relationships and identify, build capacities and establish convergence between local academic & research institutes and the Departments of Food and Public Distribution in the States on fortified rice to enable provision of technical assistance and ensure sustainability, post WFP exit.
- Support DFPD and the State Project Management Units in organizing regular meetings of the technical working group notified on fortified rice.
- Coordinate and work towards inter-departmental coordination by leading and supporting State PMU.
Research and Documentation
- Lead and ensure to drive forward efforts to further optimize the pre-mix formulation, equipment or manufacturing process parameters with R&D partners.
- Prepare the document achievements, best practices and lessons learnt on rice fortification to enhance learning within WFP and amongst partners at national level.
- Regular follow up with districts and preparation of periodic reports on the status of implementation of fortified rice.
Any other work assigned.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in food sciences, food technology, food engineering, nutrition or related field is desirable. First level university will be an asset.
- A minimum of 7 years progressive work experience of which at least 2-3 years of working closely in the area of food fortification.
- Previous experience of working in partnership with the government/UN agency/INGO is desirable.
- Experience with programme cycle management (design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation) of large-scale food fortification programmes with public health objectives.
- Successful track record in networking with government/public sector, private sector, civil society, UN agencies, donors and research institutions.
- Experience in capacity development especially of government counterparts and private sector on aspects related to food fortification/ food safety and quality.
- Evidence based approach, incl. experience with research, academic publications, etc.
- Experience with rice, wheat, oil, milk and salt sectors in India would be an asset.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS
- Strong technical knowledge of nutrition, including nutrients
- Sound knowledge of the status of food fortification in the country including the vision of the government of India on the same.
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Strong analytical skills, strong interpersonal and organizational skills, with an ability to effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Ability to communicate in the local language for the State is desirable.
HOW TO APPLY
To be considered, interested candidates are invited to apply via (https://www.wfp.org/careers/job-openings). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the food-aid arm of the United Nations and is committed to fighting hunger worldwide. WFP has been operational in India since 1963; however, the nature of support extended by WFP in India has evolved over a period of time from providing food to a more catalytic role in reducing vulnerability and eliminating food insecurity and malnutrition through technical assistance. WFP focusses on enhancing the systemic efficiency and nutritional effectiveness of the various food-based safety nets in support of the efforts of the Government of India and in partnership with the State governments. The role of the WFP Nutrition and School feeding unit in India is limited to improving the nutritional effectiveness of the food-based safety nets.
WFP through its work has been well able to make the case for integration of fortified rice in the food-based safety nets of the government. Consequently, the Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD), Government of India has formulated the Centrally Sponsored scheme on fortified rice for roll out in 15 districts across 15 States. The roll out of the scheme was followed by an announcement by the Prime Minister of India on the 15th of August, 2021 to mainstream fortified rice in all the food based safety nets throughout the country by 2024.
WFP is a technical partner to DFPD, GoI for this endeavour as well as to the States of Assam & Maharashtra with plans to expand to the additional States on the request of the given State governments. As part of technical assistance and to support the Government vision of scale up of fortified rice in the food-based safety nets, WFP plans to position staff in the above mentioned two States.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment.
🔊 Be Aware, We never charge any consultancy fee for jobs.
📲 Foodtech Network WhatsApp Jobs Group
🔗 WhatsApp Groups
🖥 Food Safety Training programs
📈 Food Entrepreneurs & Startups (Our services)