India is among the top ten priority markets for General Mills, and hosts our Global Shared Services Centre. This is the Global Shared Services arm of General Mills Inc., which supports its operations worldwide. With over 1,300 employees in Mumbai, the center has capabilities in the areas of Supply Chain, Finance, HR, Digital and Technology, Sales Capabilities, Consumer Insights, ITQ (R&D & Quality), and Enterprise Business Services. Learning and capacity-building is a key ingredient of our success.
The Senior Labeling Specialist is responsible for developing Food Product Label information and assuring compliance to federal regulation of country of sale, including nutrition, ingredient declarations, allergens, and claims. This critical role addresses and collaborates to resolve regulatory issues pertaining to food labeling and claims. This Position will be responsible for responding and implementing to draft and new regulation.
This position manages several projects at once while working across all functions (marketing, R&D, legal, supply chain, distributor, and quality) and communicates and influences labeling related and compliance matters for General Mills.
Regions in Scope:
Products manufactured and sold in India
Imports/Exports to India, SEA region, US, Europe, and Australia
Food Labeling & Compliance:
- Provide Food Product Compliance and labeling expertise to Launch New products and sustain existing portfolio by performing following activities:
- Perform Regulatory assessments for New Formulas/Ingredients and Guide R&D, distributors, and Marketing teams to ensure regulatory and business requirements are met (nutrition goals/claims, ingredient guidelines, product name/SOI)
- Articulate Labeling compliance needs for Artwork Change management.
- Develop Labeling regulatory content for own markets and collaborate with distributors to translate and verify the label information for distributor markets and ensure accuracy of allergens, ingredient listing, ingredient quid, nutrition rounding and RDA, flavor / color descriptors, legal product name on package labels
- Create label spec with regulatory content for all regions and Input English content in labeling software and coordinate translations.
- Review final Artworks and approve for regulatory content
- Support Claims and Certifications validation/substantiation by coordinating with Regulatory affairs, R&D and Legal department
- Provide technical guidance and documentation for Product registrations and consumer queries
- Timely communication of formula changes and impact on product and labels to distributors and act to ensure compliance.
- Collaborate with Legal, Global Scientific & Regulatory Affairs, Marketing, Sales, Quality, Supply Chain and others to leverage regulations and give General Mills a competitive advantage in the marketplace.
- Monitor and Address emerging regulatory issues pertaining to food product standards & labeling and ensure compliance with current and evolving regulations.
- Support Global Initiatives & Collaborate cross-functionally to identify and implement business and process improvements.
- Mentor and coach junior labeling staff and cross-functional partners as required.
- Minimum BS in Food Science, Nutrition or a related field.
- The ideal candidate will have 7+ years of similar experience in the food industry.
- Advanced knowledge of product commercialization and food regulations is required. Preferably for Asian countries
- Hands on experience for SEA Market will be preferred
- Knowledge of Thai and/Or Bahasa language will be differentially awarded
- Quality Assurance and Food safety for food products
- This candidate should be a self-starter, with a strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills are required.
- Ability to work independently across functions and locations, form partnerships and add value
- Passionate, results oriented, high integrity, team player, strong interpersonal skills
- Able to work well under time pressure and multitask
- Good listening and communication skills.
- Good team player and encourages openness in discussions.
Location – Powai, Mumbai, India
We exist to make food the world loves. But we do more than that. Our company is a place that prioritizes being a force for good, a place to expand learning, explore new perspectives and reimagine new possibilities, every day. We look for people who want to bring their best — bold thinkers with big hearts who challenge one other and grow together. Because becoming the undisputed leader in food means surrounding ourselves with people who are hungry for what’s next.