The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
Type of Contract: Service Contract (SB3 – L7)
Duty Station: Department of Food Civil supplies and Consumer Affairs (DFCS&CA), Shillong Meghalaya, India
Duration of assignment: 1 year (renewable, depending upon availability of funds)
Reporting to: Direct reporting to Head of the Supply Chain &PDS Unit, WFP India and under the overall supervision of the Secretary, DFCS&CA.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
VACANCY CLOSING DATE : 22 May 2022
The World Food Programme (WFP), operating in India since 1963, aims to provide technical support to strengthening the government’s food safety-nets programmes in order to improve access to food for millions of vulnerable households throughout the country. Through its Country Strategic Plan (2019-2023), WFP India aims to support India in achieving their targets under Sustainable Development Goals 2 and 17. Strategic Outcome (SO) 1 of WFP’s current CSP (2019-2023) is aimed at enhancing the efficiency, targeting, service delivery and supply chain of government programmes for improving access to food and sharing of best practices on warehouse management. WFP is currently working through partnership agreements with Department of Food and Public Distribution (DFPD) at the national level and with the state governments of Odisha, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Meghalaya. As part of the CSP2019-2023, WFP shall continue towards improving the service delivery of food-based safety nets through optimising existing supply chain operations, improving warehousing operations for food grains and market linkages for small holder farmers, supporting End to End (EtE) Computerisation of Targeted Public Distribution System (TPDS), and developing best practices.
In coordination with WFP India Country Office and under the day-to-day supervision of Secretary, DFCS&CA, the Sr. Programme Associate will support in analysis and advisory services to Department of Food Civil supplies and Consumer Affairs in the areas of data analytics & operations research to achieve the performance targets under TPDS & further improve overall TPDS data quality. The Sr. Programme Associate will also be responsible for documenting best practices and providing customized solutions/ capacity strengthening support to State Government to further PDS reforms. He/she would be required to travel within the state as well.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the day-to-day supervision of the Secretary, DFCS&CA Meghalaya and under the direct supervision by Head of the Supply Chain & PDS Unit, WFP New Delhi the Sr. Programme Associate (TPDS) will be inter alia responsible to perform the following duties:
1. Provide support to improve TPDS operations & improve data quality:
• Provide technical assistance through assessments, data analytics and operation research to identify gaps and create solutions for the improvement in TPDS and supply chain management & ‘One Nation One Ration Card’ (ONORC) plan implementation
• Perform financial feasibility, cost analysis, optimisation analysis of government supply chain networks.
• Inputs to design solutions, strategies, standards, and guidance to improve performance, reduce cost, or improve responsiveness.
• Provide a road map for effective roll-out of solutions across State
• Prepare training material and undertake capacity strengthening of state level PDS stakeholders in applying optimization/ analysis tools effectively and support State Government in implementation of Learning Management System developed by WFP & DFPD
2. Provide strategic support to identify & support implementation of solutions for furthering reforms in TPDS by improving transparency, grievance redressal & accountability, beneficiary outreach & awareness generation:
• Identify, evaluate and document/ update best practice models in co-ordination with relevant stakeholders in state
• Undertake risk and gap analysis
• Prepare dissemination plan for effective uptake of the identified models by the different states through trainings, conferences & workshops
• Support the State Government in the preparation of state specific recommendations & strengthening capacity of PDS stakeholders.
3. Provide technical advisory to design, develop & enhance quality of MIS/ Dashboards for effective monitoring progress in TPDS reforms.
4. Prepare and compile relevant data and create detailed technical specifications for all components of the solution/implementation from various stakeholders and share with relevant WFP Country Office Programme Officers for analysis and representation.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
Education: Completion of secondary school education. First University Degree from an institute of repute in any of the following disciplines: Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Applications, Mathematics, Statistics, Mathematical Statistics, Business Administration or any other relevant areas.
• Minimum seven years or more of progressively responsible professional experience working in project planning, coordinating, and implementing large scale technology/e-governance solutions with government or a development agency, in the area of e-governance, systems design and development, implementation of computer / IT systems or below related areas.
• Experience in working independently with minimum supervision, often in fluid and ambiguous situations will be required.
Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
The Post holder should have:
• Strong technical, analytical and problems solving skills.
• Ability to think through complex issues to conceptualize, design and execute actions plans.
• Demonstrate passion and motivation with the ability to manage complexities, multiple tasks with commitment to deliver against multiple, tight deadlines at work.
• Be an excellent team player with an ability to work collaboratively, share information and build strong working relationships with colleagues and stakeholders from diverse backgrounds while focusing on impact and results.
• Have excellent oral and written communication skills, presentation, and documentation skills with a focus on effective procedural documentation.
• Exhibit the maturity and presence required to effectively participate and contribute to meetings with senior government officials.
Understanding of the Indian Government bureaucracy and TPDS operations will be an advantage. Sound knowledge of project planning and operations management, preferably in the IT transformation or e-governance space.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Coaches team in the most effective ways to communicate WFP’s Strategic Objectives to WFP team and partners in the field.
- Be a force for positive change: Implements new methods or tools to improve team’s work processes and productivity.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Maps team’s activities and tasks to specific successes in beneficiary communities to showcase positive impact.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Explains to teammates how each unit contributes to the overall WFP mission.
Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Identifies skill development opportunities such as training modules or on-the-job experiences for self, colleagues and direct reports.
Create an inclusive culture: Facilitates team building activities to build rapport in own unit.
Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Facilitates the pairing of junior colleagues with coaches within own team.
Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Proactively anticipates potential challenges and develops mitigation plans to ensure that team meets goals and targets.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Identifies opportunities to be creative in own work and to help team be more innovative and accurate in their respective tasks and areas of work.
- Focus on getting results: Monitors team’s deliverables and provides feedback to ensure outcomes are delivered consistently and accurately.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Provides accurate guidance to team on expected responsibilities and tasks, whilst also upholding own commitment to the team.
- Be Decisive: Sets an example and provides guidance to junior team members on when to escalate issues when faced with challenging issues in the workplace or in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Facilitates partnerships with other WFP units to accomplish missions in the field.
- Build strong external partnerships: Sets an example and provides guidance to team on how to build relationships with external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Articulates to colleagues or direct reports the value of contributing to other WFP teams and agency partnerships in fulfilling WFP’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Organizes, monitors, and prioritizes own and team’s efforts to ensure that they will fulfil the needs of internal and external partners.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted. A written test will be used as a form of screening. In the event your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide in advance a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for the position.
This is a national position therefore candidates who are non-Indian nationals will not be considered.
Mode of Engagement: The salary for this position is INR. 1,181,902/- per annum (depending upon the last drawn remuneration of the candidate), plus medical benefits as per WFP’s plan. All tax liability for payments from this contract are to be borne by the subscriber. Qualified candidates will be retained on roster for at least two years and may be considered for future similar vacant posts.
We encourage female applicants and individuals with disabilities to apply.
WFP is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all suitable applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organisation. We will ensure that applicants with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the selection & recruitment process, and for work-related needs upon joining the Programme.
- Summer Internship
- 2 months internship
- 7 certificate with hard copies
- 5 Interesting projects
- Limited seats
- Join now
- SFM training
- FOSTAC Training