The International Rice Research Institute (IRRI) is dedicated to reducing poverty and hunger through rice science; improving the health and welfare of rice farmers and consumers; and protecting the rice-growing environment for future generations. IRRI is an independent, nonprofit, research and educational institute, founded in 1960 by the Ford and Rockefeller foundations with support from the Philippine government. The institute, headquartered in Los Baños, Philippines, has offices in 17 rice-growing countries in Asia and Africa, and over 1,000 staff.
Working with in-country partners, IRRI develops advanced rice varieties that yield more grain and better withstand pests and disease as well as flooding, drought, and other harmful effects of climate change.
The ISARC’s experimental station is in charge of the delivery, management, and maintenance of all research fields and facilities and will ensure the timely delivery of agronomic resources required by research programs within ISARC. This position will provide overall leadership and management of all operational activities related to crop production, crop protection, land preparation and management, and seed production ensuring optimum service delivery at all times.
This position will be based in Varanasi India and may only be filled by permanent citizens of the India.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Supervise the day-to-day delivery of research farm services (e.g. manpower allocation, maintenance and scheduling of activities) related to crop production, management of farm machinery and equipment, seed production, irrigation and drainage, and harvest, agrochemical services and pest control ensuring timely, effective and cost-efficient implementation of farm operations
- Ensure continuous improvement and optimum service delivery on Field Operations through the consistent review and analysis of existing and newly established processes (e.g. automation and outsourcing), SOPs, guidelines, technologies and equipment providing recommendations to rectify performance issues and process inefficiencies in liaison and discussion with IRRI HQ IRSP platform
- Provide support and information to IRRI regional hubs including state projects, country office, NARES and other partners in relation to farm management, operational standards, technology adoption, capacity building and agronomic processes
- In coordination with the Farm Manager as well as the Program/Research Leads, plan and monitor expenditures and savings
- ensuring accuracy and transparency on financial transactions at all times.
- Advance a safe and healthy work environment through the continuous development of processes and policies that are compliant to the standard guidelines with effective record keeping
- Evaluate different agro-machinery and practices used for different operations in rice based system and identify improved options for farmers and other stakeholders
- Identify possible sources of agro and post-harvest machinery supply, fabrication of components and after sales
- Collect loss data on piloted technologies to current practices
- Establish, secure and maintain relationships with external stakeholders (e.g. local, national & international government and non-government organizations, private companies, farm implement manufacturers) advancing ISARC’ mission of providing quality research services
- Maintain strong and productive relationships with breeding, seed, agronomy, soil science, etc. teams, and other partners for smooth operations
- Lead planning discussions for the coordination of research activities to ensure effective scheduling of agronomic operations enabling all research activities to be implemented within the limited resources available and to effectively manage agronomic risks
- Align and lead the negotiations with service providers and vendors ensuring quality delivery of service packages, products, and technologies
- Provide technical expertise as a resource for IRRI Education and during farm tours involving high level visitors (e.g. Donors, collaborators), and ensure effective provision of quality machinery required
- Contribute to the organization of CoCo, advisory committee, and other important meetings and monitoring/ execution of actions to be taken related to their units /sub-units
- In collaboration with IRRI Legal, Finance and Supply Chain Services, continuously improve service packages of service providers including the development of new Service Agreements, Terms of Reference (TOR) and be involved in biddings and contract renewals
- Oversee the work of farm manager, technicians and monitor the work of service providers to ensure that the activities are implemented according to the plan, standards and agreed timeline
- Master’s degree in Agriculture Engineering (M.Tech) preferably Farm Machinery and Power Engineering with a minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in Agricultural Research Farm Management and Project Management, or related fields;
- PhD in Agriculture Engineering preferably Farm Machinery and Power Engineering with 3 years of relevant experience
- Has experience managing farm/machinery (operation/R &M)/ team
- Has excellent communication skills
- Has good documentation and organizational skills
- Has good leadership skills
- Can negotiate with various stakeholders
- Has experience working in a multi-cultural and international setting
In addition to the base salary indicated above, IRRI also offers the following allowances:
- House-Rent Allowance: IRRI provides a house rent allowance of 40% of base pay per month
- Transport Allowance: A monthly transport allowance of INR 5000
- Dearness Allowance: One Hundred and Thirteen percent (113%) of employee’s base pay
- Leave Travel Allowance (LTA): One-month base pay per annum, on availing minimum 2 days of vacation leave
- Education Allowance: INR 1000/- per child per month (limited 2 children)
IRRI offers a highly extensive employee benefits package inclusive of globally-covered medical insurance, retirement plan, life and accident insurance and other allowances. Join our team and be part of our story!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
🔔👥 WhatsApp – Join our groups for regular updates (Jobs, News, Training etc) If you are already in our groups, please don’t join. All Groups are same.
🔬👩🎓 Join Food safety Training Programs (Online/Offline)
• FOSTAC Training
• Internal Auditor
• Level 1 Training
• 5G training
• Virtual Internship